Welcome to the wonderful world of Blogging!!!

Add to Google

Refer to this link for current information regarding our school activities, policies, and news!

[ << prev ] [ next >> ]
Posted by Craig Christensen on Thursday, Jun 5th, 2014.

It's the final countdown…

5, 4, 3, 2, 1

* I cannot believe I am writing the final Blog of the 2013/2014 school year!!!  I want to thank all of you for visiting our home page and my site.  I hope you found it useful!

* Friday is the last day of school!  Friday is the day where both students and parents cry...  Students cry because they will miss their friends, teachers, and ME!  :-)  Parents cry because it is SUMMER VACATION!!!

* Friday is a minimum day!  Students will be dismissed at 1:38 p.m.

* Students may NOT bring backpacks and/or over sized bags to school this entire week.  All bags will be checked into the office for parent pick up.  Female students may bring a small purse for personal items.  All bags are subject to be searched by security and school administration.

* We want our students to have a fun week, but we also want to maintain a safe and structured environment.  Students will receive disciplinary consequences for disrupting school environment.  The consequences may also carry over to the next school year!  Please make good choices!!!

* We have a large population of students who have not returned textbooks and/or library books.  Please make sure the books are returned for future access.  Students will not be allowed to check out books next year if they have unpaid fines/unreturned textbooks, this includes high school or transferring to a different middle school.  Unreturned books become a debt to your file.  The debt carries with you from school to school.  The average school textbook is approximately $80.00 - $100.00! 

* Report cards will be mailed home next week.

* Students are not allowed to bring permanent markers to school for signing Yearbooks.  Students can be cited by Indio Police for the possession of a permanent marker within the city of Indio!

* Please be respectful when signing Yearbooks.  Students will receive disciplinary actions for inappropriate/profane/vulgar messages written in a student's Yearbook.  Discipline may include suspension from school (which carries over to next year) and replacing the owner's Yearbook at the cost of $45.00.  Be intelligent when writing a message!!! 

* Students are not allowed to write on shirts, pants, back packs or other clothing items.

* Students are required to wear their ID and lanyard throughout the week while on campus. 

* The sixth and seventh grade award assembly is on Wednesday, June 11th.  The sixth grade assembly will begin at 5:30 p.m.  The seventh grade assembly will begin at 7:00 p.m.  Students should have received an invitation for the awards assembly.

* Eighth grade Award's Night is on Tuesday, June 10th from 5:30 p.m. - ???  We have a lot of awards to hand out!!!  J

* The eighth grade students have the opportunity to donate a polo shirt for "polo-free" week.  Eighth grade students have the freedom to wear a shirt different than the polo.  However, the shirt must follow our dress code policy (refer to Agenda).  Sorry sixth and seventh graders...  You will get your turn!  :D

* However, the last day of school is a "polo-free" day for all students!!!  :-)

* Students are not allowed to wear flip flops or sandals to school!

* To our exiting eighth graders... Thank you for allowing me to get to know you and be a part of your middle school experience!  I hope nothing but the best for each of you as you begin a new chapter in your life!  I have always been a dreamer and believer in my students.  I hope you walk away from DRA with some of my hopes and dreams instilled in you!

* To our returning sixth and seventh graders...  Thank you for a great year!  I have had fun getting to know you.  I hope you have an excellent summer break!

* Please visit our home page throughout the summer for updates and dates.

Have a fun final week and a rewarding summer vacation!!!

Posted by Craig Christensen on Friday, May 30th, 2014.

Ten, Nine, Eight…

The countdown is on and we are down to 10 days!

* Friday, June 13th is the final day of school! Students will be dismissed at 1:38 p.m.

* This is the last week that students are allowed to bring backpacks, large purses and oversized bags to school. Students cannot bring backpacks on the busses or to school during the last week.

* We need our textbooks and library books returned THIS week!!!  Students and families are responsible for paying for lost and/or damaged books.  The debt will carry with a student from school to school.  Students cannot graduate with library fines!!!

* On Friday, June 6th, eighth grade students will have the opportunity to donate their DRA polo shirts for future students in need of financial assistance and/or loaner shirts. Eighth grade students will be allowed to wear an alternative shirt during the last week of school.  However, students must adhere to the district policy and DRA Dress Code Policy, including shirts that do not show shoulders, stomachs, and/or backs. In addition, students are not allowed to wear jerseys or shirts displaying any type of inappropriate graphics, symbols, and/or words.

* The shirt exchange is for eighth grade students only.  The sixth and seventh graders will get their turn in time!  J However, the last day of school is a "free" dress day for all students who have returned all textbooks and are debt-free with library fines and fundraising.

* We also encourage 8th grade students to donate their P.E. clothes for students in need of loaners or donations.

* On Monday, June 9th, our 8th graders will have a brief presentation from staff members from the Indio Teen Center.  The Indio Teen Center is a great program and students can engage in a variety of activities that include boxing, music recording, arts, and more.  In addition, they have planned many great trips for this summer.  I believe the Indio Teen Center is free for students!!!

* The awards night for sixth and seventh grade students will be on Wednesday, June 11th!  The sixth graders will be recognized from 5:30 - 6:30 PM.  The seventh grade assembly will be from 7:00 - 8:00 PM.

* The eighth grade awards night will be on Tuesday, June 10th, from 5:30 - 7:00 PM.

* It is very important for all eighth grade students and families to understand that the awards night for eighth grade students is NOT a promotion night!  Students are not receiving promotion certificates on this night.  Per school board policy, middle schools are not permitted to have a promotion night for middle school students.  Awards will be presented for attendance, honor roll, staff acknowledgements, and other achievements made during the second semester.

* We are playing our annual Staff vs 8th Graders Softball Game on Thursday, June 12th during lunch.  Students who are on the Exclusion List or who have NOT returned all textbooks and library books may not participate in the game.

* The 8th Grade Ball/Dance is on Tuesday, June 3rd from 5:00 P.M. - 7:00 P.M.  This is a semi-formal dance.  Tickets can be from the student store or from Mrs. Amidei's room.  Students who are on the Exclusion List or who have not returned all textbooks/library books may not participate in this activity.

* 8th grade students will receive their Yearbooks on Friday, June 6th.  Students will be given time during 5th, 6th & 7th period to sign Yearbooks. Students who are on the Exclusion List or who have NOT returned all textbooks/library books cannot participate in this activity!

* Speaking of Yearbooks, students may not bring Sharpies or other permanent markers to school to sign Yearbooks.  In addition, students may face disciplinary consequences for drawing inappropriate graphics and/or writing profane/vulgar words in other students' Yearbooks.  Please be respectful!!!

* In addition, we do not allow students to write on shirts, pants, and/or other articles of clothing.

* Students need to understand that disciplinary consequences that occur on the last week of school or last day of school can carry over to the next school year.  If an 8th grade student gets suspended on the last day of school, the suspension will carry through to high school!  Students could miss the first day(s) of high school and miss the high school orientation days and summer sports programs!!!  Be smart!!!

I hope you have a dandy week!!!

Posted by Craig Christensen on Friday, May 23rd, 2014.

Fasten your seatbelt...

The next three weeks are going to fly by!

* There is no school on Monday, May 26th, in observance of Memorial Day!

* Progress Reports were mailed home last week. 

* Please continue to check your HAC for late and missing work.  The last week of school will be here before we know it!  Please do not wait until the last minute to check on grades!

* Students will not be allowed to bring backpacks, large purses, and over-sized bags to school during the last week. 

* The last day of school is Friday, June 13th!  Students will be dismissed at 1:38 p.m.

* Our ASES after school program operates through the final day of school.  We are not taking applications for next year yet.  You can submit an application during the orientation days prior to the first day of school.

* The library is closed for AR testing and book check out during the school day.  Students and teachers will begin returning textbooks this week for end-of-year clearance.  Students can still take AR tests before and after school.

* TIME TO RETURN BOOKS!!!!  Please rummage through your closests and under your beds for your textbooks and library books.  The average textbook costs $80 - $100.  It is your responsibility to pay for lost and/or damaged textbooks.

* The awards night for sixth and seventh grade students will be on Wednesday, June 11th!  The sixth graders will be recognized from 5:30 - 6:30 PM.  The seventh grade assembly will be from 7:00 - 8:00 PM.

* The eighth grade awards night will be on Tuesday, June 10th, from 5:30 - 7:00 PM.

* It is very important for all eighth grade students and families to understand that the awards night for eighth grade students is NOT a promotion night!  Students are not receiving promotion certificates on this night.  Per school board policy, middle schools are not permitted to have a promotion night for middle school students.  Awards will be presented for attendance, honor roll, staff acknowledgements, and other achievements made during the second semester.

* The eighth grade trip to California Adventure is on Thursday, May 29th.  Students can no longer sign up for this trip.  Reservations have already been made.

* The eighth grade Ball is on Tuesday, June 3rd at 5:00 p.m.  This is a semi-formal dance and is ONLY for eighth grade DRA students.

* The eighth grade students will have a small presentation on Monday, June 9th at 10:30 a.m. from representatives from the Indio Teen Center.  The Teen Center is looking for new students for their summer activities. 

Have a great three day weekend!!!

Posted by Craig Christensen on Friday, May 16th, 2014.

Four weeks?!?  Really?  That's all!!!

* I cannot believe we have less than twenty school days left!  Time is flying by!!!

* Progress Reports will be sent home or mailed home this week.  Please ask your child for your copy.  Remember, though, you can always check your child's grades, attendance, and discipline by accessing your HAC account.

* There is no school on Monday, May 26th in honor of Memorial Day.  Enjoy the three day weekend!

* Any type of physical horseplay is not allowed.  This includes playing "body shots", wrestling, tackle football, rugby, tripping, "table-topping, etc.  Too many times horseplay gets taken too far and turns into a fight.  A fight leads to a suspension and a citation via Indio Police.  Student may receive a school suspension for this type of activity.

* Please remember that students' behavior is being monitored once they leave their home until they get back home.  This includes behavior while walking to and from the bus stop, walking to and from school, bus stop behavior, and behavior on the bus.  Students can lose bus privileges for inappropriate behaviors on the bus and at the bus stop.

* Students will begin returning textbooks and library books on Tuesday, May 27th.  Please pull your books from your closets and from under your beds!  Students are responsible for paying for lost and/or damaged books.

* The eighth grade awards night will be on Tuesday, June 10th, from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.

* The awards night for sixth and seventh grade students will be on Wednesday, June 11th!  The sixth graders will be recognized from 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.  The seventh grade assembly will be from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.

* The eighth grade students will have a presentation on Monday, June 9th by members of the Indio Teen Center.  The Teen Center is recruiting students for this summer.  They have a bunch of activities and field trips for our students.

* The eighth grade trip to California Adventure is on Thursday, May 29th.  This trip is booked.  Unfortunately, there are no more seats available.

* The eighth grade ball/dance is on Tuesday, June 3rd from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.  This is a semi-formal dance and is for eighth grade DRA students only!

* Please make sure you contact me if you are experiencing or witnessing any form of bullying activity.  I will keep your name anonymous!  You can also post an anonymous complaint/concern on our district website at www.PSSTWorld.com .

* Students are not allowed to have laser pointers/pens at school and/or on the bus.  This is a district policy.  Students will receive disciplinary consequences for having laser pointers/pens at school.

* Students may not wear basketball and/or sports shorts to school! 

* Our ASES after-school program operates through the final day of school.  We are not taking applications for next year yet.  You can submit an application during the orientation days prior to the first day of school next year.

* The final day of school is on Friday, June 13th.  This is a minimum day.  Students will be dismissed at 1:38 p.m.

Have a great weekend and a fantastic week!!!

"

Posted by Craig Christensen on Friday, May 9th, 2014.

Mid-way through May!!!

* I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day weekend.

* The 8th grade Science section of the state testing is complete for most of our students!  We only have make-ups for the students who missed the regular assessment days!

* Friday, May 16th is Mr. Borgen's birthday!  Please wish him a happy birthday!

* We are recognizing and celebrating our Teachers of the Year this Thursday at the district ceremony!  Our teachers of the year are Mr. Powell and Mrs. Zengler!!!  

* There is no school on Monday, May 26th in observance of Memorial Day!

* We will have fifth grade students from Eisenhower Elementary School and Reagan Elementary School visit our campus this week for our sixth grade orientation.

* The third and fourth quarter awards for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students will be held after school.  The eighth grade awards night will be on June 10th.  The sixth and seventh grader awards night will be on June 11th.

* All awards nights will be invite only for students.  Per school board guidelines, there will not be a promotion ceremony for eighth grade students.  Eighth grade students will not be receiving promotion/completion certificates at the eighth grade awards celebration.

* Any type of physical horseplay is not allowed.  Too many times horseplay gets taken too far and turns into a fight.  Students will be suspended for fighting and might also receive a citation from Indio Police. 

* Yearbooks are selling out fast.  Please reserve your copy today by bringing $40.00 cash to Mrs. Amidei's room (room 615).  We will not have extra Yearbooks to sell during the last days.

* Please check your child's HAC account for grades, behavior, and tardies.  This is the time of year when our tardy numbers increase.  There is no excuse for students entering classrooms late.  In addition, students who enter late disrupt the learning environment for everyone else.  Unexcused tardies may lead to lunch detention, suspension from school, and exclusion from all eighth grade activities.

* Our annual Talent Show has been moved to Wednesday, May 21st!

* We are getting close to the eighth grade end-of-year activities.  I encourage all eighth grade students to stay focused and disciplined in order to stay on the active list.  I would be very disappointed to exclude any student from our end-of-the-year activities because of behavior, attendance, and/or tardy issues.  The end is near!!!

* As the year is quickly coming to an end, I want to share our 8th grade activities:

* May 29th: California Adventure trip

* June 3rd: Semi-Formal Dance - 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.

* June 5th: Movie Night ($2.00)

* June 6th: Yearbook distribution & shirt distribution (6th & 7th period)

* June 10th: Awards Night

* June 12th: Softball Game - 8th grade vs Staff (By the way... Staff is 4-0 against 8th graders!)

* June 13th: Finale in MPR  (Students and teachers only)

I hope you enjoy your week!!!

[ << prev ]
[1]23 ... 67
[ next >> ]