Desert Sands Unified School District
Dr. Carreon Academy
Parent Involvement Policy
The staff at Dr. Carreon Academy believes that successful students have parents who are involved in their child’s education. The following activities are ways to foster parent interaction and communication with the school environment:
Activities to Promote Parent Involvement
- Develop a yearly list and calendar of parent activities related to the instructional program;
- Allow for three way teacher, student, and parent conferences in the fall and spring;
- Provide a clear description of what is expected from the child in a school setting in relationship to academic performance and appropriate behavior. Classroom newsletters will Inform parents about class assignments, homework, and grade level standards. A school discipline booklet will be provided for general school rules and consequences.
- Send home written communications on a monthly basis in English and Spanish to inform parents of classroom and school information;
- Solicit parent suggestions in planning developing, and operating the school’s program through parent surveys and meetings and council organizations;
- The staff will provide timely responses to parent concerns;
- Staff will encourage all parents to serve as volunteers, to attend student assemblies, school meetings, conferences and parent training sessions;
- Special service agencies and community groups will be sought to support the special needs of families that are beyond the scope of the school. This includes but is not limited to: medical, mental health, clothing, food and shelter;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of family involvement activities annually.