Indio High School
"A Community Dedicated to Academic and Personal Success for All"
Each absence shall be recorded in one of the following four categories:
I. Excused Absence - (All students in this category shall be allowed to complete all assignments and tests missed during this period and shall be given full credit earned. Tests and assignments shall be reasonably equivalent to missed class work. Specific conditions and timetables for make up work will be at the teacher's discretion.
(2) Quarantine directed by the county health officer
(3) An appointment to obtain medical, dental, chiropractic or optometric services
(4) Attendance at funeral services of a member of the student's immediate family
(5) Appearance in court as plaintiff, defendant or witness
(6) Participation in a holiday or ceremony of the student's religion
(7) Participation in a conference or interview relating to the student's employment
(8) School-directed activities (cleared by school official)
(9) To attend a religious retreat
(10) Due to illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child whom the student is the custodial parent
(11) College visitations
(12) Classroom policies related to make-up work shall be fully explained in the course syllabus at the beginning of the course.
II. Unexcused Absence - (Make up class work/assignments/tests are not mandatory and may be provided at teacher's discretion)
Any absence not included above, even though the parent/guardian is aware of the absence or has given consent.
III. Truancy - Unexcused Absence which includes full or part day, and/or period truancies (Make up class work/assignments/tests are not mandatory and may be provided at teacher's discretion)
Any absence which is without the prior knowledge and consent of the parent/guardian or any school authority
IV. Absences - The following require active, ongoing or make up class work/assignments/tests:
(1) Off campus suspensions
(2) On campus suspensions
Grading Policy/Truancy and Unexcused Absence (Grades 9 - 12)
Attendance to class shall not be factored into a student's final grade. It is expected that students attend all classes.