Hoover School is located approximately one and one-half miles from downtown Indio. The school was constructed in 1951. Hoover began modernization during the 1999-2000 school year with a new cafeteria and bathrooms. In 2000-02, a new administration building was built, and the permanent classrooms were remodeled during the 2001-02 school year.
In September 1992, Hoover School was redesignated from a 3rd - 5th grade school to a K - 5th grade school. In the fall of 1996, first grade class size reduction went to a ratio of 20 students per teacher. In the 1997-98 school year the same ratio was implemented in second grade, and in the school year of 1999-2000 third grade reduction was implemented. In the school year 2006-07 Hoover School received the 7-year Quality Education Investment Act grant, to reduce the ratio in fourth and fifth grades. The reduced ratio will be the following: 27/1 by 2008-09, 26/1 in 2009-10, with a target of 25/1 for years, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, and 2013-14.
The 2011-12 staff consists of: a principal, 23 teachers, 1 Special Ed. Resource Teacher, 1 SDC teacher, 2 part-time counselors, 1 reading, math, ELD teacher/coach, one bilingual administrative assistant, 2 bilingual office technicians, 1 library media technician, 2 custodians, 2 nutrition service site operators, 5 yard supervisors, and 1 Para-educator (Special Education funded). Part-time district support staff includes: one speech therapist, one nurse, one psychologist, and adaptive physical education teachers, and site-funded art, physical education, music teacher and writing specialist.
The attendance area for Hoover School draws its student's population from a very wide socio-economic base. Approximately 95% of the student population qualifies for a free or reduced lunch at Hoover School. However, Hoover School is not a "program improvement" school.
Saturday, April 19, 2014